Monday, March 13, 2017

Met the Family


My name is Steve and this is my 19th year coming to Esperanza.  Eduardo, the volunteer coordinator and I started the same year.   On Monday we first introduce ourselves to the other groups. We are here with University of Southern California and UMass at Boston. 

When I come here and see with my own eyes and talk with the people face to face I realize that so much of what we hear in the news and read on social media is not true.       

The husband, Arturo is a hard worker.  He works in quality control for a company that makes automobile batteries.  He worked Sunday night and got home at 6 am today.  Since that time he was getting ready for our arrival.  Then he worked side by side with us all day.  He hopes to get a couple hours of rest before returning to work tonight.  Yes Arturo is Mexican but he is NOT a bad hombre.

He is so happy because he has a job and a beautiful family.  With our help he will soon have a nice home.  I love the way that people interact with one another.  There were many people from the community that came to work with us too.

Today for lunch, Luz made my favorite, flautes with mashed potatoes. 

In the afternoon we briefly met their daughters, April and Melanie who were both born in the United States near Portland, Oregon.  They miss the beautiful scenery and snow of Oregon.

Steve Schroer

No comments:

Post a Comment