Monday, March 9, 2020

Through the Eyes of an Eight-Year-Old

Hello!

My name is Emily Velichka, and I am a College of Wooster alumna. This is my fourth trip to Tijuana with Trinity, but my first since I graduated in 2018.

I now work as a second-grade teacher at Mater Dei Academy in my hometown of Wickliffe, Ohio. As a first-year teacher, it was extremely difficult to leave my class for a week, but when presented with the opportunity to return to a place so close to my heart, I jumped at the chance.

This year, I am attempting to see this trip in a different way - through the eyes of my students. Before leaving, I spoke with my class about where I was headed. We looked at a map and compared the weather to ours back in Ohio.

My students were shocked that we don't have a cement mixer, backhoe, or other large construction equipment to complete the jobs we do here. They were even more surprised to find out how we complete the jobs ourselves - forming a bucket line, digging and moving dirt to flatten the foundation, or even how the blocks are made by hand. We often talk about synergizing in my classroom - how to work together as a team and utilize everyone's strengths - and discussing the worksite was the perfect example to bring this everyday habit to life.

I am so excited to return to school and share pictures with my students, but more importantly, share the stories of those who I have known for years, like Eduardo, or those I am just meeting this week, like Marcos. These people, and the positivity they exemplify, are the reason I come back year after year. I am so thrilled to be a part of this week's adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment