Sunday, March 8, 2020

Seniors in Mexico

Last week someone asked me if I was worried about traveling to Tijuana.  As a matter of fact I am.  Not because of the reputation that Mexico has received over the years.
Not because of the contagious coronavirus that caused the College of Wooster to cancel the trip for its students but because I know the extent of the physical work that is required to mix and pour cement using buckets.
I am Joyce Schroer and I have been to Tijuana many times over the past 16 years.  I know that I am aging and I can't do what I once did.  I now have so much pain in my joints.  My hips, knees and ankles hurt so much and the doctor recently took me off of meds to help control the pain.  I ache all over.  How will I keep up?
Today we went to the beach.  I saw something new that I have never noticed over the years.  It was a man who was walking along the wall using a cane.  Later we had lunch downtown and I saw a woman using a walker.  After lunch the group wanted to walk down to the arch.  I decided to head back toward the van and along the way I sat down to watch the people. 
A woman came and sat with me.  She told me her husband was helping her with some grocery shopping.  We exchanged some conversation and then he came out with 2 cases of Coke and 4 beers, two boxes of shoes and several outfits for the grandchildren.  They worked at packing all the purchases into a wheeled cart for the long walk home.  Slowly and together they made their way.
In the early years, I don't recall ever seeing seniors.  I often wondered how they might navigate the rough, uneven terrain.  Now I've noticed several.
I am still worried about how I will hold up this week but maybe there is another purpose for my being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment