Sunday, March 10, 2019

Are You Listening?

Hello everyone.  My name is John Muskopf and here is my Sunday contribution to the blog.

One of the mottoes of the United Church of Christ is, "God Is Still Speaking.  Steve and I decided to take a road trip to San Diego instead of  flying there with the rest of the group.  We made the trip of 2,550 miles in five days in a pickup truck instead of 8-10 hours in the air.  Spending several days on the road gives you time to see and reflect on more things than can occur in an airplane full of people.

There were a couple of events that may fall into the category of "God Is Still Speaking."  We were getting gas in Missouri and I was waiting in line to pay for a cup of coffee.  The cashier was having problems with a transaction in front of me, voiding it out and re-entering it a couple of times.  Finally, when I stepped up to pay with a couple of dollar bills in my hand she said, "Thanks for your patience.  Enjoy your coffee and have a nice day."  When I tried to hand her the money she leaned forward and said, "Enjoy your coffee and have a nice day."  I did, and did.

It was in Oklahoma the next day when I was in line for coffee again.  There was a guy hanging around the cash register line who had a canvas bag on his shoulder, like the kind you would carry a lot of clothing in.  He asked me if I was a truck driver and I assumed he was looking for a ride.  I told him I was just a traveler heading west.  He went up to the cashier and said I think I have a free drink on my card, so I'll get his coffee.  She shrugged her shoulders and said, "If you want to."  He gave her a card and said, I got your coffee.  Hmm.  Two free coffees in two days.

The next night we were in Gila Bend, Arizona.  It's on a portion of old Rt. 66, which seemed to be pretty run down.  Steve and I were getting weary of road food, so we talked to the waitress about getting a smaller portion of their 4-piece fish and chips.  She said we could get a child's portion with two pieces of fish.  She said she didn't mind giving a kids meal to adults.  I had noticed a bowl of corn kernels going by on the way to someone else and found that to be the vegetable of the day.  We placed our orders and she asked whether we wanted french fries, baked potato, or saloon fries.  I first said baked potato but then said on second thought, "Could I make that corn instead of baked potato."  She nodded.  When the meal came out, along with two pieces of fish that turned out to be fantastic, there was corn and a baked potato.  I said "Wait a minute, I didn't mean to order both potato and corn."  She said, "I know, I just wanted to give it to you."
 
Ok.  I'm starting to think god is trying to tell me something.  The next night.  We saw one of the most beautiful sunsets you'd ever want to see.  Steve commented, "If you see a sunset like this and don't believe there's a god, there's something wrong with you."

The question is, what's the message.  It's good to go on a road trip?  It's good to do mission work?  If you take time to watch and listen, you'll see god acting and speaking?  I wish I was a better translator.  Maybe in time I'll understand.  In the meantime, I hope to enjoy this wonderful trip, working with wonderful people representing lives being lived on both sides of the border.  I'll keep listening.  Are you listening?

John

No comments:

Post a Comment