Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Greetings from Tijuana,

My name is Jennifer and I am a senior at the College of Wooster and this is my second year coming on the trip and my unofficial role has been that of translator. The past few days have felt like a lifetime worth experiencing for eternity. We have seen, experienced, and felt many things. On Sunday, we went to the beach near the border to see the wall. Upon arrival the mood in the vans changed from a chatty ambiance to a somber remembrance. Although quite colorful and defiant, the wall imposes a world of significance.
As we walked down to the beach where the wall ends, I was called by John, Joel, and Phil who had been talking to a couple of Honduran men who were a part of the caravan. Both men were cousins and the youngest of the two had come three days prior to meeting us. The older of the two said, "I came with the caravan in October leaving four kids and a wife behind. I had no other choice, but to come. At home, taxes were being raised and I was threatened to be killed several times for not being able to afford the higher taxes. After the last time where they almost took my life, I decided to come. I came to Tijuana in hopes of crossing the border so I can work for a few years and earn money for my family. I know it is hard to cross, but I have hope and it is my dream to cross. My cousin here joined me three days ago, he is an orphan and I am his only family left. At least now I am not alone when sleeping on the streets. I have tried finding work here in Tijuana and have found several odd jobs here and there for a few days. I had a construction job for a few weeks that initially told me they were not hiring Hondurans, I didn't say anything but a few weeks later they found out and fired me. There's a lot of discrimination against Central Americans here in Tijuana and I can only hope I can find work to help me cross the border."
Hearing the story of the two Honduran men, had me in a deep reflection about the struggles, sacrifice, and endurance a person goes through to hope and dream for a better future.

Here is a photo of the two wonderful men
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216263553013337&set=a.10203595749646170&type=3&theater

No comments:

Post a Comment