Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Shoveling Dirt and Rice

Hello readers!

My name is Mia, I am a student at the College of Wooster. This is my first trip to Tijuana and it is amazing! Today we continued shoveling/pickaxing out trenches that will serve as the foundation to the house. Since it rained for the most of the night the dirt actually was the butter that was promised. The sun did come out and it was a beautiful day! There is the most beautiful view from the work site with the ocean and this hill that has these yellow flowers growing all over. After lunch we packed up and went to a convent where we served dinner at a food kitchen.

I serve breakfast at Trinity every Monday so I had some idea what this was going to be like, however, I was surprised. First, they serve consistently over 100 people, probably around 150 average. This large volume is in contrast to Trinity which does not feed as many people. I was in charge of scooping out the rice onto plates and the pot that the rice had a diameter of around 2 feet, easily the largest pot I have ever seen. I was able to talk to some of the nuns that live in the convent, one said that they don't have a home, they just go from convent to convent, where ever they are needed. This experience was very powerful and made me realize the importance having access to hot meal wherever you are. As I was scooping out this rice it was reminding me of the dirt that I shoveled in the morning. As enjoyable as they both are I think I like shoveling rice better, not as heavy. Tomorrow I am looking forward to making more progress on the trench.

No comments:

Post a Comment