Friday, October 15, 2021

Last group out; First group back.

 Tomorrow morning I will be returning to Tijuana again.  It has been roughly 19 months since I have been at the Posada where we stay.  When I left Esperanza in March 2020 the world was just entering a pandemic.  Covid 19 was on everyone’s mind.  We crossed the border into the USA and stopped for breakfast before going to the airport.  There was an eerie feeling in the airport because so many flights were canceled.  I never anticipated how different the world we returned to would be.

Restraurants were closed.
Mask wearing was the norm.
Meetings were held via Zoom.
Church in person was cancelled.
I expected it to last a few weeks but the pandemic continued to get worse.  It consumed the news.  It was bad for our friends in Mexico too.  Ours was the last group to go to Esperanza that year but there were still families that needed homes.  I stayed in touch with Eduardo, the technician and my friend, he said that the staff was still trying to do their best to build homes but there was so much uncertainty.  So far they were all in good health although they were social distancing and working from home. Then I got the news that the husband of my dear friend Cuquis had died.  I was heart broken.
Since that time I have been fully vaccinated and the vaccination rate in the Tijuana area is comparable to the US.  Esperanza is beginning with a soft reopening of work groups.  And I am so excited because we will be the first group permitted to return.
I am not quite sure what to expect.  There will be changes.  We will all need to mask at the job site.  The families will not be providing our meals so we will either find a local taco stand or eat PBJ.  Our group is small but that is preferable.  
I am not going to guarantee a daily posting but we will do our best to keep you up to date on what we experience.  Please keep us in your prayers.
Steve Schroer

Five are going on the 2021 Esperanza Mission Trip - Steve Schroer, John Muskopf, Hannah Gaul, Lamin Cobb and Bud Ellis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment